Bizarre things my daughter Sophia says and does
Bizarre things my Daughter Sophia says and does
My daughter Sophia is nuts, plain and simple. She is pretty intelligent but is only 3, so she has a lot of concepts that have not quite been fit together to make a cohesive and coherent picture of reality. Sometimes she makes the right connections...other times she misses pretty badly. She is the most awesome kid I have ever known, and I have known like 3. But she really is the greatest show on earth and I have a front row seat. Here are some of the things she says and does:
1. "When I was older." Think about that for a sec. Either her grammar is bad or she has experienced some form of time travel. You literally cannot make sense of that statement...the rules of language won't allow for it.
2. She dreams about the Sophias, who are 5 little girls that look just like her who sit on the couch and stare at her. Their daddy looks like bizarro me. They were talking to her in her dream and she said she "screamed at them real quiet and slow" so that they wouldn't wake Henry. Have you ever tried to scream at someone quietly and slowly? Love it.
3. She just learned how to wipe herself. Want to know how I know? Well, she came running into the room the other day, pulled down her panties, spread her cheeks, and showed me...thats how. Unbelievable.
4. She is absolutely fascinated with Star Wars. I asked her what fire did and she said, "it makes people's pieces fall of like Uncle Owen and Aunt Veru." That is a Star Wars reference, and a good one. Needless to say, after that we stopped watching so much Star Wars and went back to My Little Pony.
5. But that was to no avail, as she told me this last Sunday that she was pregnant with Luke and Leia and that she couldn't help clean up because she needed to go to the hospital
6. I was having a disciplinary talk with her and she put her finger up and closed her eyes and said, "can I talk now?" I said, "of course you can." I was shocked...even more so when she actually responded with a coherent rebuttal.
7. She was wearing a cross at a family gathering and she went around telling everybody that "Jesus died on a cross." She got some uncomfortable looks but a little laughter. If you have seen "Dune" you will know what I am talking about when I compare her to Paul's sister Alia, who was born with full consciousness and said real grown up things that kind of gave people the heebie jeebies...though Sophie is not that creepy.
I think it creeped some people out that a kid that age was talking about death. Oh well...its real, so might as well teach her the truth of it and the hope she has in Jesus instead of act like its never going to happen and feed her a bunch of BS about how perfect she is.
8. The other day I told her she couldn't have another treat to which she retorted, "God doesn't like it when you don't give treats." So I said, "God wants me to give you whatever you ask for?" "Yes," she responded. "Even if it makes you sick?" She did a nice little subject change by talking about Dorah and then circled back around to talk about getting a treat again as if I would somehow forget.
I am enjoying being a father more than I ever anticipated...though it is the hardest and at times most frustrating job I have ever done. But getting the privelege to shape someone in God's image is pretty cool. You don't have to look long to know how true it is to say we are born sinners, but at the same time there is an innocence there that makes your heart melt. They come out of the womb screaming "ME! ME!", but there are times when Sophie's heart for other people truly amazes me. She hugs people who are sad, gives Henry his toys when he is crying, kisses my boo boos, prays for other people when me and Heather are praying.
My prayer for her is that she would be who God made her. Creative, quirky, adventurous, beautiful, intelligent, compassionate, romantic, funny, cheerful, inquisitive, and more are all qualities I have seen in her. I pray that Jesus would be the Lord and Savior of her life, and that all of these wonderful qualities would be crystallized and flowered through the presence of God the creator in her life. I pray against her being stifled by dead and legalistic religion, as has happened to so many who have experienced the church. Finally, I pray for my wife and I, as we will be the ones to show her whether its worth it to give her life to Jesus, that our hearts for Jesus will be seen in a joyful and hospitable home, where we love holiness, confess our sins, pray for one another, and live a life poured out for the one who poured himself out for us. If she sees this, she will want to follow. If she only sees moralism and anger and bitterness and stress and arguing, she will reject it. There is a lot more fun stuff to do than sitting around feeling miserable all the time.
God will get the glory of bringing her to Himself either way, if He so chooses to do it, but I thank Him for the opportunity to participate in His divine design as a husband and a father. It is a blast.

2 Comments:
Ross
This is the funniest thing I have ever read
I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»
Post a Comment
<< Home